Small-Scale Business »
Housing and Urban Development»
Mining and Petro-Chemical Industry»
Policy Guideline on Economic Planning»
Policy Guidelines on Social Development»
Living in Nigeria today is akin to living on a war front, where citizens need all their natural instincts to merely walk or drive on the street. Life itself has become something of a Russian roulette, it can best be described in the words of the famous English Philosopher, Thomas Hobbes: chaotic, nasty, brutish and short. Hired killers, armed robbers, ethnic militias, petty criminals and other social miscreants are perpetually on the prowl, making life, progressively, a living hell. High profile assassinations, daredevil robberies, ethnic and political pogrom as well as jungle justice in the home and in the streets have become such a recurrent feature of daily life that one may be justified to insist that the State in Nigeria is on vacation somewhere in outer space. The situation is so bad that in our country today, no citizen, no matter how high or low is secure and safe. Yet the first and most important responsibility of the state, even in medieval times, is to go to whatever extent necessary to not only make citizens secure and safe, but actually make them feel secure and safe.
To be sure, the current situation has not always been the case. A succession of bad policies and bad governance over the past few decades can be held responsible for this. Bad policies and bad governance, by their nature, generate social discontent that in turn breeds lawlessness, criminality and the rule of the strong. From the highest level of authority to the lowest in the streets this culture of impunity and insecurity has not only settled in, but is also, frighteningly, taking roots. No wonder it is said that when a fish starts getting rotten, it starts from the head.
The most important priority of the Action Congress is to protect the life of every Nigerian and to make them safe inside their homes and on the streets, at home and abroad, to enable them move from one point to another at any hour of the day or night without the fear for their safety or their lives.
- Good Governance: Enthroning a government of discipline, leadership by example and people centred policies.
- Policing: Transforming the police into a true and proper instrument for the maintenance of law and order through continuous training, discipline, motivation, proper compensation and retooling, specifically, we shall:
- raise entry requirement to a minimum or ordinary National Diploma or equivalent.
- modernize methods of policing to give priority to crime prevention, investigation and collection of evidence
- adequately equip the police with modern communication, transportation and weaponry to meet the challenges of highly sophisticated crimes
- improve the welfare of officers and men with better pay sufficient and suitable accommodation
- provide adequate training opportunities at home and abroad and set mandatory training and training standards and targets for officers and men
It is impossible to sustain a safe and secure society unless poverty and want are conquered or reduced to the barest minimum and a higher level or prosperity ensured across the board. Our party intends to achieve this through the massive creation of jobs.
Our objective in this regard is to create full and gainful employment for those willing and able to work, by creating 500,000 new entrepreneurs every year who will be able to employ an average of four persons each.
Agriculture and Integrated Rural development
Agricultural production has experienced a sharp decline in the last few decades. Not only are we now net importers of some agricultural products that used to be major foreign exchange earners, we also import a significant amount of food that should be produced locally.
Some of the reasons for the decline in agricultural production are:
- The rural areas have been neglected by successive administrations, leading to a drift of population away from the farm into the cities, as the villages become more and more unattractive.
- The remaining people available for farming are either too old, too few or too young to be adequately productive, and their major implements are still the hoe and the cutlass.
- Because of the absence of even the most basic amenities, enterprising and virile young men are not encouraged to settle in the rural areas and engage in modern agriculture.
- The need to improve agriculture is therefore inseparably linked with the need to develop rural areas and improve the quality of life of the rural folk, so that rural communities can become more attractive to live and do business in.
The objectives of the Integrated Rural Development Programme are as follows:
- To provide critical infrastructure and social services in the rural areas
- To increase rapidly the output of food and export crops and aggressively find export markets for them
- To improve the quality of life and of the habitat in the rural areas and reverse the tide of rural-urban migration.
There are compelling political, economic and social reasons for free education for all citizens at all levels, once we can afford.
Our party believes that education is the key to national unity an economic development. Disparities in education and economic opportunities constitute the primary cause of gross inequality in the distribution of national wealth. Such disparities have promoted social disequilibrium and exacerbated ethnic and tribal tension and discord. The party is determined to reverse this.
We also believe that education is indispensable for the development of an enlightened citizenry that will be easy to govern but impossible to enslave. Without a well- educated population, development efforts will like pouring water into a basket.
Finally, we also believe that education is a fundamental right of every citizen. If the State expects full service and complete loyalty from every citizen, then the state is duty-bound to educate every citizen to the limit of his ability, so that he can also serve state to the limit of his competence.
For these reasons, the party considers it absolutely desirable that education should be provided FREE for every Nigerian citizen once our Governments can afford it. Our national interest dictates that education shall be our topmost priority since the success of every other programme depends on it.
The Education programme of the government of our party has the following objectives:
- To make every citizen literate and able to communicate in major world languages as well as in their mother tongue
- To train citizens in science, engineering, finance, management and information and communication technology who will lead the nation’s drive for prosperity and economic development and who will have a deep understanding of and solution to the nation’s problems.
- To substantially raise the income of Nigerians and create a middle class for the development of the economy.
- To train citizens to learn, to inquire and to develop increased foresight and accuracy and a readiness to try new methods and techniques
- To train the various levels of manpower needed to transform the nation.
Good health is basic to human existence. To be wealthy, the nation also needs to be healthy. Since the health sector in general in Nigeria is in complete shambles, primary, secondary and tertiary healthcare must receive appropriate attention and must be developed fully to meet our nation’s needs. In doing so, however, it makes sense to place greater emphasis on preventive and primary healthcare, for the time being.
The major objectives of our party’s policy on Health are:
- To tackle and control of all those factors in our environment and in our daily life which adversely affect our physical and mental health;
- To provide the personnel and institutions that will assist society in ensuring continued good health care delivery for every citizens;
- To ensure that the good effects of all these services are accessible to all, irrespective of their domicile or economic status.
Primary Health Care Components
- Free Immunization for children 0-5 years against the six killer diseases of childhood.
- Free Immunization for women of child-bearing age against the deadly disease of tetanus.
- Free supply of micronutrient supplements to children 0-5 years and pregnant women
- Free mass immunization against the deadly disease of yellow fever and cerebrospinal meningitis during epidemic.
- Free treatment of cases of HIV/AIDS, T.B. and Leprosy.
- Provision of health information, education and materials for effective prevention, control and management of communicable diseases.
Secondary Health Care Components
- Free Registration
- Free consultation
- Free minor investigation
- PCV (Packed Cell Volume)
- MP (Malaria Parasite)
- Free Medication with essential drugs
- Free minor surgeries
- I & D (Incision and Drainage)
- Suturing of minor lacerations
- Closed Reduction and POP Immobilization of simple fractures
Free care of pregnant women:
- Pre–natal care
- Free Normal Deliveries – including forcep and vacuum extractions
- Free suturing of Episiotomies
- Free medication with essential drugs during labour, delivery and puerperium
- Free post natal care for breast feeding mothers
- Routine post-natal care examination and medication
We shall promote and adequately fund systematic research into all forms of traditional medicine and shall encourage the establishment of traditional health institutions in all the state to complement the national effort in health care delivery through conventional medicine practice.
The party’s objectives shall be to:
- Ensure that within FOUR years of coming to power at the centre, the nation attains 80% stability in electricity supply across the country
- Generate, transmit and distribute 800 watts per capital in the medium term
- Lawfully acquire any other form of energy for electricity and for other civilian use through internationally acceptable standards and safeguards
- To encourage state government and private sector participation in the generation and distribution of energy
Railways, waterway and road transportation are key and germane to economic growth and development. This is even more so in a country with estimated population of 130 million, growth at an annual average of 3%. The movement of people, goods and services in Nigeria will continue to be a challenge, which cannot be met efficiently and cost effectively by road transportation alone. The continuous neglect of railways and waterways by successive governments is bad policy, which has led to crisis in our transportation system, with planes routinely falling from the skies and absolute chaos reigning on our roads. This situation is unwise and unsustainable if Nigeria truly aspires to sustainable economic growth and development.
The objective of our party in the transport sector is to create a safe, efficient, cost effective and integrated transport system through:
- Modernization and expansion of railways and waterways and placing them at the centre of movement of people, goods and services.
- Regular maintenance and expansion of roads.
- Efficient and properly regulated aviation sector to dominate regional and continental routes.
For several reasons, the Integrated Rural Development Programme and the full employment programme of our party need to be accompanied by dynamic development of small-scale businesses, particularly in commerce and industries.
The major objectives of our party on small-scale business are:
- To generate income and create wealth and prosperity across the land through support for small-scale businesses
- To assist and promote the growth of small enterprises so that they can widen the range and efficiency of their activities and meet the growing and changing needs of the economy
- To remove all obstacles which have hindered the operation of small scale farmers, traders, distributors and industrialist.
There is a huge deficit in the availability of housing to Nigerians, especially in the middle and low-income groups. Where it is available, the quality is extremely low, compared to what is obtainable in other developing countries. Modern financial arrangements, especially mortgage, to support the expansion of quality and affordable housing are at a very rudimentary stage. In addition the standards of planning and sanitation, especially in our cities, are quite low with unplanned structures and squalor taking over our cities and turning them, potentially, into slums.
To address these twin problems, the private and public sectors have important roles to play – the former, in the modernization and expansion of the housing sector in general, the latter, in strengthening regulations and institutions, to improve the existing urban development standards and ensure strict compliance with them.
The party’s objectives in housing and urban development are:
- To rapidly increase the quantity and improve the quality of the housing stock. especially for middle and low income groups.
- To provide a central and active role for the private sector, especially mortgage institutions, in the provision of housing for all.
- To rapidly improve the quality of the environment
- To substantially upgrade and improve the mechanism for the disposal of human and industrial wastes,
- To protect people, plants, animals, water and the atmosphere from pollution and abuse of any kind.
- To institutionalize an appropriate response towards the environmental and waste disposal policies of the advanced countries.
The party’s objective in this sector shall be:
- To ensure responsible and efficient exploitation of our mineral resources
- To ensure that government maintains exclusive rights over mining activities in the country;
- To attain self-sufficiency in minerals and refined petroleum products
- To contain environmental degradation arising from mining operations.
Iron and Steel Development
Iron and steel development are the foundation of an industrial revolution in Nigeria. Therefore the government of our party will undertake the following measure:
- To ensure the completion and take-off of Ajaokuta Steel Complex because of its primary desirability to various industrial concerns, especially on railway systems.
- Ensure that a viable iron and steel industry is established and maintained as a pre -requisite for industrial and technological take-off.
The situation in Niger Delta is a sore on the nation’s conscience, which calls for special attention. The deteriorating condition and the declining standard of living of our people there is a source of embarrassment to the nation and a cause for serious concern. Our party shall tackle the Niger Delta question once and for all by constructively engaging the people in the Delta with a view to finding amicable and lasting solution to the problem. This engagement will cover, among others, the following:
- Political and economic participation
- Relationship with oil companies
The key to attaining the Planning Objectives of our Party is to secure national consensus through public education and “buy-in”. We shall establish a sound technical and professional team to formulate and monitor the National Economic Plan and carry out detailed analysis and real-time monitoring.
Our party shall adopt the following as the main objectives of economic planning:
- Integrated rural development with special emphasis on agricultural development
- Formulation of measures to reduce the income gap between the rich and the poor and between rural and urban areas
- Attainment of full employment and raising the standard of living of every Nigerian
- Rapid industrialization and technological advancement
- Free trade
Social development is a dynamic process that ensures a good quality of life within the community. The term social development is used here to embrace three major components: social welfare, community development and recreation.
Social development programmes are designed to offset, for individual as well as for the community at large, the unintended harsh effects of social change. Economic development efforts often result unintended effects such as migration, heavy urbanization and unemployment. These in turn create problems such as family disintegration, emotional stress, delinquency and other social ills. Therefore social development programme are necessary to combat these stressors, which, if unchecked, could overwhelm the individual, and destabilize society itself.
Our party recognizes that these problems are especially pronounced where there is rapid economic and social change. Our Society Development Programme is designed, therefore, in direct response to current and anticipated problems arising from the rapid economic and social changes in our country.
The Social Development Policy of our party for Nigeria has the following objectives:
- To provide facilities and services that will assist the citizens in overcoming the harsh effects of rapid economic and social changes
- To develop the body and character of the Nigerian youth by means of sports and recreation
- To create facilities for the individual to enable him relate happily with the community.
To achieve these goals, the government of our party will pursue the following programmes of social development:
- Full and gainful employment
- Marriage guidance and counseling bureaus
- Family reconciliation services
- Adoption and foster-care service
- Homes for motherless and abandoned babies
- Day-care centres
- Old people’s homes
- Rehabilitation and resettlement centres for the destitute and refugees
- Social security arrangements for all employed and self-employed persons.
The Integrated Rural Development Programme of our party is a broad programme of community development, essentially for the non-urban areas but with important ramification for the entire country. A significant feature of the programme is the organization of rural communities into cooperatives. As a further strategy for the economic and social integration of the individual into the society in an effective way, our government will foster the developments of GUILDS uniting the practitioners of particular trades within each cooperative unit. For example, encouragement will be given for the setting up and development of a Guilds of Blacksmiths, Guild sof Palm- oil or Groundnut-oil Producers, or a Guild of Dyers, etc. Such guilds will also be actively encouraged in the urban areas.
Another strategy for integrating the individual into society is the establishment of:
- a National Patriotic Youth movement,
- a more relevant National Youth Service Scheme (as an integral part of the programme of Education)
- Boys and Girls Clubs
- Women’s Club
Voluntary organizations such as the Girls’ Guide, the Boys’ Scout Movement, and others which will be given recognition and support.
Our government will provide free technical advice and encouragement in the execution of community-based self-help schemes. The Adult Education sub-program is itself a useful instrument in community development. It will therefore be vigorously pursued not only as a means of improving the mind of the individual but also as an opportunity for making him participate more meaningfully in the development of his community.
We recognize the role of sports in the physical and mental development of the individual and in projecting the image of a nation on the international stage. The party is very much aware that in recent years, sporting success on the international scene has boosted the morale of Nigerians and given us greater confidence than before.
The party believes that, for a sports-loving nation like Nigeria, outstanding achievements at the world level will create fresh inspiration and impetus that will have a salutary effect on our endeavors in this fields. We are therefore determined to make appropriate investments in the field of sports.
- To ensure the maximum success in the field of sports, our government will take the following steps.
- Broaden participation in sports in order to increase the pool of talents from which young athletes are recruited. The policy of free education up to secondary school level is expected to facilitate efforts to broaden the base for the recruitment of top-grade sportsmen and sportswomen.
- Require educational institutions, particularly at the higher level, to permit appropriate flexibility of their academic curriculum and schedules to encourage sportsmen and sportswomen to combine sports with academic pursuits without undue disadvantage. It is noted that the policy of free education at primary and secondary school levels and bursary and scholarship for indigent students at the tertiary institutions will remove the financial hardship that would otherwise befall the sportsman-student if he should lose time during important competitions.
- Ensure the effective involvement of a much broader section of the population, by requiring that agencies of the Sports Commission be established at the Local Government level for the propagation of sports in every school and in every Boys and Girls club. Our Government will also provide adequate facilities for training, coaching and competition.
- Establishment of a Welfare Association to support competitive athletes. The services of the Association will be available to all sportsmen and sportswomen who have consistently won honors in national and international sport.
- Create a system of merit awards for sportsmen and sportswomen who win national and
The party’s objective on defense shall be consistent with the provisions of the constitution. Specifically, our objectives are to:
- Create a highly trained, highly mobile and highly motivated military corps.
- Create and maintain Armed Forces capable of discharging their constitutional role at all times and in all circumstances.
- Use the Armed Forces to support our foreign policy objectives.
In conformity with the provision of the constitution of our party shall:
1. Pursue friendly and reciprocal relations on a bilateral and multilateral basis across the world, especially within the West Africa sub-region and within Africa as a whole.
2. Observe conventions and obligations of regional and international organizations of which Nigeria is a member.
3. Maintain and strengthen Nigeria’s membership of regional and international organizations to facilitate the attainment of Nigeria’s national interest.
4. Resist all forms of discrimination, domination and aggression against Nigeria and against any other state.
The Civil Service
- Development of a patriotic and efficient civil service characterised by the initiative, quality and commitment of its personnel, and by the speed and proficiency with which it discharges its responsibilities.
- Development of measure to eliminate corruption, inertia and unnecessary red tape.
The Judiciary and the Administration of Justice
The objective of our party in the administration of justice are:
- To facilitate the complete independence of the judiciary from intimidation and external influence.
- To strengthen the processes of administration of justice.
- To uphold the principles of separation of powers as enshrined in the constitution.
- To defend the principles of social justice, equity, equality and human rights.
- To insulate the judiciary from all form of parochial interests and to ensure that the national interests and objectives are always upheld.